Applying for Internships

Post spam, politics, funny things, personal stories, whatever you want. Please remain respectful of all individuals regardless of their views!

Applying for Internships

Postby (=DK=)Samonuh » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:09 pm

I feel like I'm voluntarily offering myself up as slave labor.
...انا أتكلم اللغة العربية. هل هي سيئة؟ لا
(=DK=)Samonuh
Community Member

Re: Applying for Internships

Postby JAF » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:32 pm

I did an internship for Snapple this summer, and I was basically treated as an employee, except I didn't get paid :angry: . I was assigned to come up with flavors for potential drinks. It was good real world experience for business and getting to see how professional companies handle sales pitches and marketing. I would suggest doing an internship for something that you are very passionate about; don't just do one to do one.
"Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. " - Babe Ruth
JAF
Community Member

Xfire: jaf10

Postby 11_Panama_ » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:02 pm

And.....JAF told me that my idea for Snapple drinks was a success. They are doing market tests on one of my drinks... the Tamarind Temptation. How cool is that? PANAMAPWR!!!! Yeah, I rock!
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby WD-40 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:52 pm

11_Panama_ wrote:And.....JAF told me that my idea for Snapple drinks was a success. They are doing market tests on one of my drinks... the Tamarind Temptation. How cool is that? PANAMAPWR!!!! Yeah, I rock!

They turned down your 'Panamanian Poop' Flavor?
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Bryant » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:33 am

I'm just finishing up a paid internship. Engineering is one of the few areas that offer it.
Bryant
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: ssmgbryant

Postby FaiL.? » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Bryant wrote:I'm just finishing up a paid internship. Engineering is one of the few areas that offer it.

For a larger company or a smaller one? I do interships at smaller ones.
FaiL.?
Community Member

Origin ID: Egrigious

Postby CommanderOtto » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:03 am

i know what you mean. Finding internships in the U.S is pretty hard. But I guess that is because the u.s labor market is so saturated. If you go to Sao Paulo in Brazil or a city in China you will notice that companies are literally fighting for interns. It has taken me time to realize that things don't work the same over here. However, after a long search I did find a good internship at a commercial real estate company. Totally not what I expected, but I never knew I could love an internship so much. The people are great and there is definitely a lot of opportunity for making money. In commercial real estate you could be involved in several areas of brokerage involving properties worth millions of dollars. Since you are in New York, that makes things way more interesting since it is a big city and there are tons of office buildings that need Landlord or Tenant representation. Some interesting departments within commercial real estate companies are:

1. Investment Services
2. Corporate Services
3. Research
4. Capital Markets

Before joining the company I thought only banks or big financial institutions would give jobs like that. After looking for weeks at all the tons of crappy "internship" jobs in the internet (which feel more like slavery than a learning experience)... I thought that working in commercial real estate wasn't such a bad idea after all. I swear, this was literally a hidden gem. This is the reason why I have been a bit inactive during the summer since I arrive at home so tired, but it has been a great experience. By the way, don't work for free.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby FaiL.? » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:54 pm

I know this didn't apply to me, but thanks Otto, I'll definitely take that into consideration.
FaiL.?
Community Member

Origin ID: Egrigious

Postby CommanderOtto » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Fa.iL.? wrote:I know this didn't apply to me, but thanks Otto, I'll definitely take that into consideration.

you're welcome! :th_a017:
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (=DK=)Samonuh » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Well, given my major is international relations, I don't think there are any NGOs or government organizations that willingly pay their interns.
...انا أتكلم اللغة العربية. هل هي سيئة؟ لا
(=DK=)Samonuh
Community Member

Next

Return to Non-Game Discussions